Enviva Announces 2020 Impact Report
Company demonstrates its long-lasting commitment and accomplishments in forest stewardship and stakeholder engagement
BETHESDA, MD, February 8, 2021 — Today, Enviva, a leading global renewable energy company specializing in sustainable wood bioenergy, published its 2020 Impact Report, which details the progress made in 2020 to implement the company’s Responsible Sourcing Policy (RSP) provisions in its operations. Enviva’s RSP provides strict sourcing guidelines that hold the company to the highest standards of sustainability, integrity, forest stewardship, and continuous improvement and serves as the guiding principle for its global wood sourcing. Enviva’s sustainably sourced wood is used to manufacture wood pellets, a renewable fuel source, that allow power and heat generators to eliminate coal and reduce their carbon footprint by more than 85 percent on a lifecycle basis. For power generation, Enviva’s sustainable wood pellets provide reliable and dispatchable energy that complements the intermittency of wind and solar energy, ensuring a stable grid without having to utilize fossil fuels.
To continue to deliver on the company’s commitment to responsible and sustainable wood sourcing, in early 2020, Enviva set out new goals and initiatives, defined as its 2020 Implementation Plans. These plans are set in three key areas: sustainable forestry standards, verification and transparency, and conservation leadership across the U.S. Southeast, where the company owns and operates wood pellet production plants.
“Since the COVID 19 pandemic took hold in early 2020, we worked effectively to deliver on our goals in spite of the uncertainty we faced. And because we made good progress and found new ways to work and collaborate with partners despite the pandemic, I am especially proud to publish our second Impact Report, highlighting our 2020 progress and achievements,” said Jennifer Jenkins, Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer at Enviva.
This is the company’s second Impact Report, closing out the yearly cycle which marks the last step in Enviva’s annual RSP reporting cadence.
Below are some of the key accomplishments cited in the Report:
- The publication of Enviva’s first Corporate Sustainability Report, featuring a GHG Inventory and a discussion of the company’s sustainability journey from its inception in 2004 to the present.
- Enviva created and reported a custom Sustainable Accounting Standards Board (SASB) Index by drawing material variables from the Biofuels, Pulp & Paper, Forest Management, and Industrials categories. This voluntary disclosure of data is an innovative first in the biomass industry and was vetted by a third-party verification body, Bureau Veritas.
- Enviva made good progress on its five-year partnership with The Longleaf Alliance to restore longleaf forest systems across its sourcing regions. Some examples include, increasing the company’s purchasing from restoration projects on public lands and conducting outreach to private landowners interested in establishing or improving longleaf.
- The company announced a partnership with Finite Carbon via its CORE platform, which will create high-quality, credible forest offsets within its supply regions; and
- Enviva partnered with GoChain to conduct a pilot program designed to enhance the traceability of its pellets using blockchain technology. Given the pilot’s success, Enviva anticipates further exploration and piloting of blockchain.
Enviva’s 2020 Impact Report is available online. The company’s previously announced 2020 Implementation Plans may be found here. For more information on Enviva’s sustainable wood sourcing, visit www.envivabiomass.com/sustainability/responsible-sourcing.
About Enviva Holdings, LP
Enviva Holdings, LP is the world’s largest producer of industrial wood pellets, a renewable and sustainable energy source used to generate electricity and heat. Through its subsidiaries, Enviva Holdings, LP owns and operates wood pellet processing plants and deep-water export terminals in the U.S. Southeast. We export our pellets primarily to power plants in the United Kingdom, Europe and Japan that previously were fueled by coal, enabling them to reduce their lifetime carbon footprint by more than 85 percent. We make our pellets using sustainable practices that protect Southern forests and employ about 1,100 people and support many other businesses in the U.S. South. Enviva Holdings, LP conducts its activities primarily through two entities: Enviva Partners, LP, a publicly traded master limited partnership (NYSE: EVA), and Enviva Development Holdings, LLC, a wholly owned private company. To learn more about Enviva Holdings, LP, please visit our website at www.envivabiomass.com and follow us on social media @Enviva.